There are any number of security cameras out there on the market. You want one with good variable light capabilities and motion sensing.

The easiest way to do it would be for the various home owners to individually mount a camera or cameras on their houses pointing the correct way. The will need a collection server (basically a PC or Mac that does not get turned off) with a good bit of storage, external is best.

Most cameras come with the software you need.

I would guess a couple of hundred bucks for the cameras and storage, assuming you have an older computer around to host them.