Good point. The local security guru hereabouts likes to tell the story
how they got an email from their system (in WV) when they were in
Australia. They immediately logged onto the web to take a look and saw
a guy standing on their front porch. He didn't seem to be doing much
and they watched him for a while and he left. I'm not sure why they
didn't call the police, but they found out later it was a neighbor
came by to hand deliver a Christmas card and stopped to enjoy his
beer.

My point being, if they couldn't tell this was a neighbor, would they
have had enough information to prosecute? Probably not.