Modern RAM DIMMs are actually made up of lots of smaller RAM chips. One of them possibly has a fault.

Shut your system down completely and reseat the DIMM(s), with the usual anti-static warnings.

If that does not fix the problem, buy some new RAM - it is cheap, and XP would be much, much happier with 1 to 2 Gigs. how much you should get is a function of what you do with the computer.