I have a couple of machines that have video chip on board.  One cheap compaq
and one cheap ACER.  I stuck a couple of cheap memory chips in both, and both
work quite nicely.  the compaq I am using right now has an ATI radon express
200 and is happy doing 1600 x 1050 32bit at 60hertz.  must go to 1440 x 900 to
do 75 hz.

trying to run a pc with 512 and shared video is not a pc problem.  feed it some
ram.