Thanks!  That did the trick!

on Wed, 27 Feb 2008, John Duncan Yoyo wrote:
Try this procedure-

If the spell checker passes over areas of text and does not pick-up mis-spelt
words it is possible that the text has been marked not to be checked.

To solve this problem do the following:
1. highlight the area which won't spell check.
2. click 'Tools' menu then the 'Language' option, then 'Set Language' option.
3. ensure that 'Do not check spelling or grammar' option is NOT selected.
4. click

The Spell Check should check the area now.