My understanding is that fiber cable already has a metal wire in it so
Miss Utility can find a buried fiber cable. So I would think that with
just a little bit of additional motivation the telcos could do the good
socalist thing.

May I suggest that a single wire suitable for running RF down to allow tracing of the fiber cable is not any indication that sufficient capacity exists to power lots of phones. Fiber is likely to be cheaper in the long run for phone companies but powering via fiber isn't likely to get or be practical.

I also note that the present telephone model came about because 48 volt batteries with large capacity worked and many homes likely to get phone service didn't have a source of power for phones. The accidental benefit that during a power failure the system continued to work was just a happy accident. With many folks quite willing to cut the cord to wire phone companies and accept cable telephone service,, or depend on cell phones or horror of horrors use a non-local VOIP service the desire to have phones with power out for extended periods isn't all that high. I also note that even with a wired phone there's no guarantee that the batteries will continue to power your phone when discharged and no generator is present to replace AC.