>Mandated?  No, no one in the guvmint told them to merge.  XM and Sirius had
>to fight to get that.  I suppose it would have been better that one or both
>of them went out of business instead, right?

You have blinders on. Within the very same email you confirm what I
wrote. You words are...

>Only 4 companies applied for the 2 measly licenses the FCC
>was doling out with their depression era thinking.  Both XM and Sirius paid
>$80,000,000 each for that, and this is the thanks they get.

To restate your words: The government decreed that there would be an
oligopoly with only two players. They kept other players out. They
created an $80,000,000 barrier to entry.

This is the worse kind of economic policy. This is not government
regulation. This is the government picking winners and losers and
effectively selling a license to allow companies to prey on citizens. How
many web sites would there be if the government charged each an
$80,000,0000 license fee?