I use foreign sets so infrequently that I prefer to just use SYSTEM TOOLS/Charactor Map to pick a letter.
This would not be so good for someone who types french frequently.

 - Brian

There are two ways you can insert or type foreign language characters or accents. I do it for German.

Using ASCII codes you can type a code and get the character you want. My dad used to keep an ASCII chart next to his monitor to do this with German.

In MS products (Office) and I assume WordPerfect (although it was done differently) and Open Office you use insert symbol and then use the chart to insert the symbol you want.

Again I use this method when in Office to insert foreign language characters. It gets fun in Hebrew and Greek when you need to do this.