Interesting side note....

" Many SATA controllers can enable AHCI either separately or in conjunction
with RAID support. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards
(which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum
flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an
operating system has already been installed.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface