The software the client wants to keep using has not had any updates in
years. So my job is to get up-to-date hardware configured to run old
software.

We're still running mission critical apps on, in most individual cases, P4 platforms.

XP Pro is the OS of choice.

Why would we do this?  Well, because it works and the hardware is
not fully depreciated.  That's what you get in a REALLY large scale
computing environment. I'm talking a global WAN. We do have an increasing failure rate of individual workstations, but it's sustainable.

As the individual components fail they are replaced by cannibalized
parts or gradually by new units.  Usually from the lowest bidder
that has proven reliability.

I'm speaking of long upgrade cycles here. Business is economic war and the bottom line is "How much does it cost and what will it buy me
in terms of productivity and reliability."

You do not make a decision to do a potentially super expensive
platform change to an unproven OS requiring application rewrites
and over a million physical hardware upgrades lightly.

At least not when if the network stops functioning for any reason
you are dead in the water.

Not for no proven benefit and when you have all ready committed to
a huge capital investment in network restructuring.

So no Vista here, except I suspect for limited testing.

I speak theoretically and only for myself, and entertainment purposes, as usual :-).