This can be from the telephone carrier's side.  (Old-model) telephones
can draw power from the phone line - so it is possible for the surge to
come in over the telephone connection.  It is also possible to get the
surge over the power line.  Does anything else in your house show any
effect from the lightning when the DSL modem does?  If yes, it is
probably the power line.  If no, it could be the telephone line bring
the surge.

I usually just turn my DSL modem off when I'm not using it.

Thank you,

Mark Snyder