Seriously, how many people unplug their phone line _every_time_ they
hear thunder?

Not many.  But I used to operate this way when all I had was
dialup over aerial cable.  All it takes is one decent strike to fry
a lot of electronics, I know this the hard way...

Five to ten seconds between lightming and thunder is NOT
far away.  That's like 1.6 to 3.2 kilometers away.  Outer limit
of DSL effectiveness assuming straight copper feed is just
about 5.5 kilometers, or 18,000 feet.  So the strikes could
be beween you and the central office, potentially right on top
of the line (low probability, but...).

Do you get resets when it just rains as opposed to during electrical storms? Do the resets coincide with observed lightning strikes?