I only know what I've read, as I don't live in Verizon territory.

http://www.giganews.com/verizon-sprint-special.html
"According to a recent announcement, Verizon will stop providing
access to alt.binaries newsgroups on their internal Usenet systems as
of June 24, 2008. Sprint will stop providing access to alt.binaries
newsgroups sometime thereafter. "

also:
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/3998/Verizon+Drops+Several+Binary+Newsgroups
- which points out they really started dropping groups in 2004, and
apparently couldn't come up with a good enough excuse to drop all of
them until 2008.

Presumably you have to update your groups list for the dead groups to
be excised.