>All corporate income comes from the customer base (read "the rest of
>us"), we pay all taxes, directly or indirectly.  Corporations have two
>choices over the long term - pass on all costs to their customers, and
>taxation is a cost, or loose money until the capital investment is
>gone and then cease business.

You miss the cause of the problem. In recent years a very small segment
of the population has been skimming off $Billions of corporate profits.
In effect the profits that would have been taxed to provide for the
common good have been diverted into private hands.

- The disgraced CEO of Countrywide financial paid himself $48M in 2006.
- Ditto Bear Stearns $40M.
- CVS drugstores $26M
- Exxon Mobile $27M
- AT&T $25M
- Verizon $26M
- Qwest $18M

etc. etc.

But I guess that is okay if you are one of those be considers $5M/yr to
be a middle-class income.