Adobe wont cause this.

Some free utilities can. If they are loading some sort of driver that either emulates or replaces the Optical driver.

Also some universities load their own programs in order for students to get onto the net.

It can also happen if it is failing as it is trying to read the CDrom and has problems communicating with it.

Stewart