The DSL modem will have an RJ-11 jack for the pots line and
a RJ-45 jack for the lan side.

Typically tyhe RJ-11 jack will say WAN or DSL and the ethernet
jack that you use through the house will say 'LAN' for
local area network.   Might even have a four port switch
or something similar built in.

As far as a diagram or picture, check the web for
'basic home telephone installation' or something similar.

Here is one pic:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.splefty.com/Images/demark.
jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.splefty.com/blog/technology/&h=450&w=600&sz=137&hl=
en&start=1&um=1&usg=__57UPy2-0EBFxI2_gupO3dAj-gOo=&tbnid=qcsq529Fk3x-FM:&tbn
h=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtelephone%2Bcompand%2Bdemark%26um%3D1%26hl
%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%
26sa%3DN

in this particular photo, unplugging the jack from the box, breaks
the pots circuit and allows you to connect a standard RJ-11 plug
to the phone line for testing.  See below:

There should be a 'DeMark' or telephone speak for the
place where you have to pay to get things fixed beyond 'here'.
That device will have a 'test' jack that if you unplug the house
line from and plug in a standard pots phone is a fairly reliable
test....if it works you have an 'internal' wiring issue that
the phone company is not responsible for, if it does not,
then the truck from the phone company should roll for free.

Radio shack sells a 1 to 2 RJ-11 spiltter that you could
plug in here, and have the filter off of one side to phones,
and the other side direct to the DSL modem.

I rewired the current house I am in with CAT5 and have not regretted it.
(well, OK, I'm human, I only terminated what I needed, the rest
is coiled up in the OnQ box, labeled as to cable # and room, but
not terminated)

Take Care,

John