> Many find the new UI changes hard to learn and unnecessary.

Sue wasn't talking about the UI. She was talking about the need to "buy new
software whenever MS changes its mind", and that's what I was responding to.

> There could have been changes made that don't stop quite
> as many programs from working. Or compatibility modes that
> trick the old software into thinking it is doing something
> unsafe, but it really isn't.

MS did both of these. You can run any program in compatibility mode for
WinXP, Server 2003, Win2K, WinNT4, Win98/ME, or Win95. And behind the scenes
Vista does stuff to help, like quietly storing data that software tries to
put in Program Files somewhere else. But compatibility can only go so far,
and a small number of particularly egregious programs, most of which are
doing things that MS said not to do for years, just won't work.

> Again, it depends.  Largely, it seems that MS felt as you do - who
> cares how  many old programs are broken.

I didn't say anything like that. In fact, I said that MS had bent over
backwards to maintain as much compatibility as they could while still making
the changes that were needed to improve security.

> But not every software vendor has the resources to make the kinds
> of changes that MS wants for Vista.

You're assuming that they are big changes, but they are not. I've been
through this (I'm a professional developer), and the modifications that a
vendor might HAVE to make are just not that big of a deal. It's not like the
software needs to be rewritten.

If a program needs sweeping changes to run under Vista, then it is a bad
program and I, for one, would not want to use it.