Kelly,

For data recovery programs, I'll echo what Mike said...  I've used
OnTrack and it's worked pretty good.  Another really good one (that I've
also had luck with) is SpinRite ($89) from Gibson Research Company -
www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm.

Data recovery service companies tend to be very expensive.  I sent in a
couple of drives recently (hmm...one was a Seagate 36gb SCSI and the
other was a WD 80gb SATA (I wonder how I forgot about those in an
earlier email)), but they can also work magic.

The price is usually dependent on your time frame and the size of the
drive.  The faster you want the data back, the more it's going to cost.
If you don't need the data *tomorrow* then, you can save a little bit on
the cost.  Figure the cost will be from $500 - $3,000 (depending on the
size of the drive).  Most repairs seem to run in the $1,300 - $1,700
range.

Most companies will tout how they'll get your data back or they won't
charge you anything.  That's nice, but not realistic.  Unless a drive
has been really, really, really hammered, they can still get something
back.  Also, don't worry too much about finding a place local to you -
unless you want to drop off the drive in person.  Almost all of the data
recovery places will ship the drive (and will accept shipments too).

I did a quick google search and here's the 3 top hits (not including the
CPC links):

o First Advantage Data Recovery Services www.datarecovery.net -
877-304-7189
o Ontrack Data Recovery - www.ontrackdatarecovery.com - 800-872-2599
o DriveSavers - www.drivesavers.com 800-440-1904.

I've used DriveSavers - www.drivesavers.com (1-800-440-1904) about a
dozen times over the years with companies where I've worked and in my
systems consulting business too.  They've been in business for about 20
years (IIRC).  They used to have a picture of a drive that had been in a
house fire - you could sort of tell it had been a drive at some point in
time and they were able to get data from - it was pretty amazing to see.
We chose them since they used to have a location about 5 miles from
where I worked.

Larry