On Sep 16, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Jeff Wright wrote:

Or, allow competition in the market instead of perpetuating the same idiotic
guvmint-enforced monopoly scheme.

Are these monopoly schemes that are "enforced" by the government actually hatched by the corporation to whom the government has capitulated? In other words, in the county where I live, Cox has the monopoly. Was the concept of providing a monopoly to some entity solely the idea of my local government, or were corporations pushing the concept upon the government through their lobbyists and political donations, with Cox managing to come out on top?

  Steve