First, go through your BIOS and snap a digital photo of each page. But
if the cmos battery needs replacing
(http://www.google.com/products?q=cmos+battery), it's probably fairly
easy to do, if you're handy with pliers.

Yes, if you're really worried about it you can leave it on, but
eventually you may want to spring for a new battery. Even if it
forgets it's settings, you can always select one of the safe setups in
the BIOS.