> The last go-around we had multi-processors for a few years and the
> software never caught up. Instead the reason for multi-processors
> evaporated and they went away. So anyone who was trying to solve the
> difficult problems of coding for them was wasting their time.

I would argue that the economics and market are very different now.  Multi
processor systems were much more expensive than single processor systems.
Why pay $300++ for that additional CPU?

Multi-core systems are now the norm and have a negligible price hit.  Even
quad-core systems are only about $100 more than dual-core systems.

> With that history, nobody is racing to do the heavy lifting on
> multi-cores.

It's a very different situation now and software developers that don't take
advantage of the new architecture will be left in the dust ultimately.  Look
for 64-bit software to start coming online finally (even though that's a RAM
issue, not CPU).

> Much of the time the additional cores sit idle or run at a very low
> percentage of their capacity.

True, but so what?  Do you use every room in your house all the time?  You
don't have a guest bedroom or 2nd bathroom?