WEP is the lowest level of security and I would not recommend using it. However it was the basic one offered in 802.11b systems.

Your wireless is only capable of setting one level of security. Either WEP or above. (I have this problem at home in that my one network adapter for the TIVO is a 802.11B and it is only capable of doing WEP but I want WPA.)

I added an old wireless access point that does WEP but that still leaves the whole network vulnerable.

Looking at the device I bet the only encryption method allowed with it is WEP, so you have to make a decision.

Stewart