Because ... if a "trojan infected" laptop uses your wifi (or a war driver passes your way, or one of your machines picks up one form or another of an exploit via email, evil website etc), the compromise will in turn try to compromise all other machines on your network. If you are using filesharing... those secondary compromises will be a cakewalk and without individual computer firewalls... not very difficult.

You can't have your cake and eat it too in this game. Software firewalls and antivirus eat up process cycles, filesharing is an invitation to "share" your computer and firewalls also stop generic filesharing.

Some of the best software engineers in the world are designing the trojans and malware these days and they have unlimited budgets because the profits on the "dark side" are so HUGE.

Conservative estimates are that 25% of all US PC's are compromised and used as platforms for various dark arts.

Once a machine is compromised by these sophisticated exploits, it usually takes a format and rebuild to remove them.

All professionals will tell you a "layered",/ overlapping / multifaceted, external firewall, internal firewall, antivirus, malware defense" is the ONLY way to go.

On the university network I used to work for, an unprotected machine would be compromised in 30 seconds and there was nothing the U. could do about it. I occasionally see war drivers cruising the residential streets I live on. One of them that I stopped and talked to was using a laptop with powerful robotic scanning attack software (freeware) to compromise wifi networks. He was an unemployed computer project manager and got paid "by the piece." He was making good money. White collar crime is out of control these days

One of the automated/ robotic exploits getting more rampant is credit card and ID theft.

I myself wouldn't take on the poor odds / huge risk you are contemplating.

What's easy now, won't be easy later.

My two bits,

db

RLeeSimon wrote:
Question is do I even need that?  I suspect the desktop being behind the
router but wired is protected and the wifi to my laptop is behind the router
and also protected ...waddoIneed a software firewall for, then?  I am not
trying to be facetious...