>So, which was it for Apple and MobileMe: malice or incompetence?

Definitely incompetence. Apple has perennially staffed this part of their
operation with dim bulbs. I think management forgot that and suddenly
expected that group to act more like the rest of Apple. Hence the
pratfall.

As cloud computing grows in importance I don't think Apple can afford to
leave this part of their operation so poorly run. I hope that after Jobs
issued his apology he made a note to pay more attention to this. (I think
Jobs loves hardware a lot more than he loves software.)