I have a daughter that has  become intrigued by online gaming.  In order to
further her interest, bond  with her and (hopefully) to save some money, we
want to make a family project of  building a gaming computer for her.
        We have Comcast Cable as an  ISP.  I have built a computer before
(for the office) but the details  of a gaming computer needs are a bit arcane
for
me.  We think that we can  keep the monitor (LCD) she has.
        I am under the impression  that we start with a case and a power
supply (400W or better).  After  that, I think that the component parts of
MoBo,
CPU, hard drive, graphics  card and operating system need to be picked as to
best compatibility.   This is where my knowledge begins to lack.
        Can anyone give me  a flowchart process for picking the parts and
assembly that would be a  good jumping off point for this project?
        I know that you can always  spend more money but I would like to see
options and places that we can cut  corners.
        I work in the entertainment  business(on the audio side) and often
have to suggest upgrades to PA systems for  musicians to get the most bang for
their buck.  My general rule of thumb is  to buy the best equipment you can
afford that is the human contact point (Best  microphones, best speaker
cabinets).  Is there such a "rule of thumb" in  the gaming computer world?

Tracy  Foust

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)