I found this explanation from MS at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830

It looks like the tool only runs once a month when it downloads the
new definitions. It runs in the background which is why I've never
seen it. It can be run manually:

Q13: After I run the tool from Microsoft Update, Windows Update, or
Automatic Updates, where are the tool files stored? Can I rerun the
tool?
A13: When it is downloaded from Microsoft Update or from Windows
Update, the tool runs only one time each month. To manually run the
tool multiple times a month, download the tool from the Download
Center or by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
(http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx)
For an online scan of your system by using the Windows Live OneCare
safety scanner, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://safety.live.com

It is a less than obvious tool which apparently does provide some protection.

Richard P.