I didn't because pdf is more of a _destination_ format than an editing
or archival format. Not a good comparison, but I would liken it to
scanning an important painting; you wouldn't save it as a jpg, because
you would know it may need editing later.

Of course, now that Adobe has opened up the pdf format, this may
change. But for now, it's just not an editing format.