>You know, I really wonder how I seem to stay profitable and
>have zero employee turnover.  I really ought to get into a line
>of work that doesn't really need all these highly skilled career
>professionals that I'm competing for.

A couple of years ago I listened to an interview with the president of
BJ's on this topic. They are in a similar business to Sam's/WalMart, but
have a very different business model in regards to their employees. BJ's
managers concluded that paying better wages and taking better care of
employees would more than pay for itself in higher productivity from
lower turnover. He sounded very much like you, wondering about
Sam's/WalMart very different decision.

We see decisions like this all the time in business.

Circuit City fired all their experienced staff a little over a year ago.
I opined here that this would lead to their downfall. It did.

Some managers even think that saving a few $100 on cheap PCs instead of
getting highly-productive Macs is good management. Hard to believe, but
true.

It does seem to work for WalMart. To understand why you need to look more
broadly. WalMart is profiting from loopholes in the system. They
aggressively shift costs to the government and local communities. It is
sort of like the economic equivalent of pollution. The reason pollution
pays is that the polluter is not made to pay the full cost of their
actions. The community pays. The polluter profits.