If you object to the amount of taxes the working poor do pay, then lower those taxes. I.e. lower the payroll tax and lower the sales taxes and state income taxes. Don't take money from those who pay federal income taxes to make up for those taxes. Otherwise some states who are profligate in their spending and taxation (read CA, NY, NJ) can say that the poor aren't hurt because the taxes they pay are compensated by Federal "tax refunds". Believe it or not, there are conservatives who support lowering the payroll tax.

Chris Dunford wrote:
p.s. One case where I agree with you; tax cuts are indeed spending when
you send IRS payments to people who paid no income tax.

I keep hearing Fox "journalists" and others say this, but it's quite
misleading. "People who paid no income tax" is not the same as "people who
paid no tax at all". The rebates are for working families, which means that
they pay, at a minimum, Social Security and Medicare taxes.

There is no provision for payments to people who pay no tax, nor is anyone
going to get back more than they paid.