Wait! Here's a computer question:  Can you scan a picture you like
and print it on canvas using an injet printer set to low res so it
doesn't bleed through? If you can put CDs/DVDs in special inkjet
printers, why not needlepoint canvas? [except for size]

I'm not sure about running canvas through a printer. :)  I don't do
needlepoint--I do counted cross stitch, and work from a chart.

I do have cross stitch software that will allow you to scan a picture
and turn it into an editable chart, with thread colors coded and
named in 2 brands of floss.  It's not particularly easy to obtain
really good results, but it's fun to play with.  Couldn't you do
needlepoint from a chart? Sue

For a rug, I scanned my sketch, then used it as a background in a
drawing with a visible grid in front of it. Since I didn't have a color
printer, I marked the grid with symbols for different colors, then
printed it out, tiled, about 1/4 the size of the rug. The rug is
needlepoint, Icelandic wool--white, natural, Mediterranean blue--so I
didn't have too much trouble marking the colors, but I do have to mark
different kinds of stitches. I had a template in AppleWorks. Guess I'll
make another for InDesign or iWork, if AppleWorks dies in OS X 10.5.6.

We used to make "Persian" rugs in silk for fancy doll houses--22
stitches to the inch. Used photos of real rugs and overlayed a grid. Can
only see well enough to work in full sunlight. Crochet is so much
easier, especially free-form, random yarns.

Betty