Those were classical liberals, aka paleoconservatives in todays lexicon. One could argue that Lincoln's Republicans overthrew that federal republic government by force with a more national republic, and then FDR's brand of liberals overthrew that government when they eviscerated limited government by ruling that the commerce clause essentially lets Congress legislate on any matter in any manner.