Again, I was referring to contemporary usage of the terms liberal and conservative. If you looked at the link I gave, you will see that today the term liberal usually refers to Modern Liberal as described there.

I cannot think of any modern conservatives who would side with the Tories. Modern conservatives are more attuned to the original principles of the Constitution (think Judge Scalia).

b_s-wilk wrote:
I would consider the founding fathers to be conservative, not liberal.

You've got it.

The Bill of Rights are PROHIBITIONS on what the federal government >can do...

Yep.

Most of the founders of the United States, especially those who wrote the Constitution considered themselves to be liberal, in the tradition of the Age of Enlightenment. The definition of liberal hasn't changed that much since then.

The conservatives were the ones who wanted to remain British, not the ones who wanted revolution. Good thing the founders weren't Libertarian, otherwise they'd never agree on a Constitution that would last, or even what to write.