A number of "Tories" did not do so because they felt the revolution was wrong but because of religious teaching.

Henry Melchior Muhlenburg was the father of a number of active members of the revolution. (father of Peter and Frederick both active participants)

He felt that they were going against the God ordained leaders provided the colonists. In those days this was a very strong and committed belief held by many religious types. He was upset that his sons forsook the church as he saw it and served the rebellious continental army. He did however stay and supported the government when the revolution was over. He is considered the father of the American Lutheran Movement.

It is very difficult to project 20th-21st century ideals on 18th century situations. Culture, Society and values have changed.

Stewart