You got to break some eggs to make an omelet. Is breaking things orderly?
Probably not from the chicken's point of view...

db

Matthew Taylor wrote:
On Feb 10, 2009, at 11:36 PM, Vicky Staubly wrote:

That any state feels it can prohibit who I am as a person is outrageous
and should not be permitted in any civilized country, let along one that
claims to be as enlightened as we claim. People like you and Scalia belong
in the Dark Ages.

Best to put me there with them - and all others who support a government of laws and not of men. The very essence of judicial impartiality is that a judge must rule on the law says, not what they wish the law to be. In this nation there is a long established jurisprudence that the state can indeed legislate matters of personal morality when the legislature finds a compelling interest in doing so. The state does it all the time. The state regulates vice, be it the sex trade, recreational pharmaceuticals, or other activities it considers detrimental to the public good. I don't think it should, certainly not in the manner it does, but that is a political choice the people through their representatives have made. The state regulates marriage - the very act of sanctioning any form of marriage, of defining marriage in law is an act of legislating morality. If you argue for same sex marriage sanctioned by the state you are asserting the power of the state to define marriage - that is legislating morality.

If our judges start, some would argue continue, ruling based on their philosophy of what the law should be, or should mean today, as opposed to what the drafters of a law meant at the time that they drafted it, then we no longer have a government of laws. We simply have a government of political majority - whatever that majority might be, whenever and wherever assembled. That is a recipe for tyranny, not liberty.

I respect your life choices - I have made some unorthodox choices myself. I don't demand others welcome my choices, or even support my choices. I certainly don't demand that the law be changed to suit my choices - I do what I can to persuade others to support my views that the laws should be changed in an orderly manner.

Finally, if Liberal isn't a bad word anymore, why do Liberals call themselves Progressives now instead.

I have some more bad words for you, but I don't want to subject the
nice people on this list (as opposed to you) to them.

I can't help but notice you did not address the question - why do most liberals appear to prefer progressive? Progressive is such an interesting label. It implies change is valuable for the sake of change itself - that the old must be dispensed with simply because it is the old. It gives no weight to custom and tradition as the evolved wisdom of society, yet most progressives strenuously argue that evolution has shaped the members of society who now must change that society in the name of progress. Such an interesting contradiction.

Matthew