On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Chris Dunford wrote:
I can't help but notice you did not address the question - why do most
liberals appear to prefer progressive?

Pretty simple answer: because Limbaugh and the rest of the neocon media
comedians have managed to turn "liberal" into something akin to "communist"
in the fifties--an unpatriotic America-hater.

I still use "liberal" because I am neither. I am a liberal patriotic
America-lover. Limbaugh thinks this is an oxymoron, but he is wrong as
usual. (Hard to say whether he actually believes the stuff he says or just
says it because it makes him a lot of money--he certainly has to know that a
lot of his rant is factually incorrect. And if we're looking for someone
unpatriotic, let's nominate someone who has actually said, in so many words,
that he hopes Obama will fail.)

Thanks, Chris. I too call myself a liberal, as do my parents, my aunts
and uncles and cousins. I understand (I don't remember personally) that
I went on my first civil rights march in a stroller. :-)

[Progressive] implies change is valuable for the sake of
change itself

Sez who? I still prefer "liberal", but "progressive" doesn't have the
meaning you impute. A progressive is someone who wants progress. Progress
means improvement. That is not "change for the sake of change".

And, as software developers, we could point out that in contrast to
"progress" (good change), there is "regress" (bad change), as in
"regression testing" (testing for features in software which used to
work, but no longer do because a developer made some change).

--
Vicky Staubly       http://www.steeds.com/vicky/        vi...@steeds.com