I made the choice in favor of my kids and live an hour by car from where I work by the back roads.

Well, there are some compromises involved everywhere but
you've got your priorities straight.  I can do what I do because
I'm single and have no kids (that I know of).

My brother has a similar situation to yours and is if possible
more conservative than either of us, he also has said that he
doesn't see how a city lifestyle could work.  Maybe a little
bit stronger comments.

The shootings have calmed down in my neighborhood, there
was a bit of a gang war here for a while but it tapered off
after a while, I don't think we've had a gun battle on the streets
for some time, not since the late '90s anyway.

The area has calmed down and gentrified considerably since
then.  :-)