magic jack requires a computer to work ...my voip works with only the cable
modem and the phone modem.

-----Original Message-----
From: b_s-wilk [mailto:b1sun...@yahoo.es]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: DSL & answering machines/DSL & phone service

 > That's true. But there are two things to consider.
 > 1) POTS will go out too during emergencies, as it too is a trunked  >
system, relying on having only a few users on at a time.  > 2) On a day to
day basis, how often do catastrophes happen? Last time  > I remember the
phones not working was on 9/11, but I had POTS back  > then. I bet VOIP
would have worked fine.

That's absurd.

Our POTS line has NEVER gone out except when Comcast accidentally cut
the line next door, and one other time when a flood shorted the switch
down by the creek. Our phone in Maryland worked on 9/11--I called my
sister-in-law who was working in lower Manhattan; her phone in Brooklyn
worked OK after she finally walked home, but the lines were pretty much
overloaded, for good reason.

VOIP is no good when the power goes out--no power, no modem, no cell
towers. Verizon has enough backup batteries here to last for a couple of
days, and they have generators. Our power goes out almost every time
there's an electrical storm. We use the POTS line to call the electric
company. Basic land line service is cheap, less than $10 a month, and
much more reliable than VOIP. Glad I didn't switch.

> I suppose I should point out answering machines aren't compatible with
> all systems. e.g. My MagicJack has a hard wired 4 ring limit, so you
> would have to set your answering machine to 3 rings to trump it; not a
> very viable solution. As I recall the more expensive VOIP systems gave
> you more control over when your voicemail kicks in.

I can set our analog answering machine to answer after 1, 2, 3 or 4
rings. Your MagicJack won't work when the power is out. My POTS line will.

Betty