At least with HP's I have been running them out of ink for years and they always print well again once I replace the empty cartridiges. Might not be true of Epson's but they have always produced quality prints but been problematic about environmental conditions etc.. Good reason to not buy one for conventional printing...
db

Tom Piwowar wrote:
Epson has made it so no aftermarket cartridges can be used in their machines. They also set their machines to stop printing when a cartridge reports (not is, but reports) it is empty.

If an inkjet cart runs to empty it will pump air into the printer's feed tubes. This is hard for an owner to repair. So the printer will have to be sent out for service or replaced. This will make the owner very unhappy. It is good engineering to make sure that this will not happen. Well worth leaving a few cents of ink behind.

Don't take advice from people who don't understand how inkjet printers work.