> I need a 4-in-1 printer and have had it with replacing ink jet cartridges
> every 50 pages (or whatever the low number is) so am thinking of getting a > laser 4-in-1 if it's affordable. Was in Staples recently and noticed they
> have 4-in-1 inkjets which claim (and the salesperson did as well) get far
> more pages per cartridge, and are actually cheaper per page (50% cheaper as
> I recall the statement).  Some of the models were on sale, at least that
> week.  I don't think I need color, at least not for current needs.  So my
> questions are:  1)  any suggestions for a model of a reasonably priced
> (under $200?) laser 4-in-1, and where to get one? Is this something to buy
> online?....

IMPORTANT: Do you need to use a fax? If not, buy separate printers and scanner. For the price of a good all-in-one, you can get a basic laser printer, an inkjet and a scanner. Find room for them. You can still scan and fax from your computer without a dedicated fax machine.

I have an Epson printer that I got back with our Spanish bondi iMac. It still prints well, doesn't clog. Epsons use more ink than some other brands, but are reliable. Only other inkjet I'd consider is a Canon PIXMA. When the Epson 740 finally dies, I'll get an inkjet with separate color cartridges, not a color laser, since I use it to print photos [Canon is better for photos]. My Epson scanner is very good, so are Microtek, Canon, and some others. We have a small HP laser and a basic Samsung ML2010. Lasers usually have much better print quality than inkjets and cost considerably less to use--3,000-5,000 pages per toner cartridge that costs from $20-$80, depending on the brand and model.

Combined, the cost of the laser, scanner and inkjet is about the same as an all-in-one, except that when one breaks you don't have to throw everything away. Start with a new B/W laser printer. You can buy online, but with patience, if you watch the Sunday ads, you can do as well at local stores. Got the scanner at Beast Buy, one of the printers at Staples, other at CompUSA before it closed. Otherwise, buy online at a store that has cheap shipping, good rep and a good return policy.

Betty