Why bother with internal.  You can just hang an external drive on the
firewire port.

Good point but it's not a priority as my main system just died.

I think it's the DAC, it reports that it's getting signal over the
optical port but it is not doing what it is supposed to do with
it.

:-)

Yes I field stripped it and tested the fuses with a VOM that I had
to dig out of the closet.

It looks perfectly good but I fear it may have suffered an
unfortunate reversal.

I'll get around to checking out the mobo tomorrow, it's unclear
whether the problem may be there.