On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Tom Piwowar <t...@tjpa.com> wrote:

> I have set up several converter boxes for myself, my office and my Mom.
> In every case the process was very quick, about 5 minutes. Maybe another
> 5 minutes to get the converter box's remote to control basic functions
> for the TV.
>
> What took time ws playing with the antenna. Antennaweb was a big help
> because it showed me the direction to the station's broadcast antennas.
> The good news in DC is that they are almost all located on the hill top
> at Wisconsin and Brandywine. But as I said before, pointing the antenna
> was not a logical process. I did whatever the box's signal meter
> indicated was the strongest signal. So once I got a good signal from that
> collection of stations the job was done and I had my box rescan.
>
> In the end I did lose some stations, but for the stations I did get, most
> had multiple subchannels. E.g. WETA has 4 channels (unfortunately 1 & 4
> seem to be the same program most of the time, I hope they improve that).
> So despite losing some channels I have more subchannels so more
> programming choices in total. I stopped worrying about the stations I
> lost.
>
> Channels 101-200 is a cable thing. I don't know anything about cable.
>
> BTW, this is not OT. Digital broadcast is definitely about computers.

Odds are you need to buy a Clear QAM converter box for cable- QAM is a
decoding scheme for digital cable systems.  Apparently the cheap converter
box program prevented boxes that included QAM decoding from being included
in the coupon program.

I bought a DVD recorder with a Clear QAM tuner from WalMart for around
$150.  All the useful looking QAM decoder settop boxes seem to come in
around $100.  There are dongles for computers and things that are less but I
don't see an easy way to use them with your TV.

--
John Duncan Yoyo