Apple's documentation is often dated. They are much faster a putting new
stuff up than at taking obsolete info down.

Except that one of the ADC articles I quoted was explicitly written
for Leopard, and I could show you other articles as well, like one
on writing 64 bit code for Leopard which explicitly cautions you to
use the CUPS filter to write a 64 bit printer driver, etc.

As for cupsd not showing up in Leopard's Activity Monitor for you,
that is a puzzler.  It shows up for me (clean install, so it isn't a
leftover from Tiger), and it shows up on every Leopard mac I
have looked at that has a printer installed.  The printers
involved so far include HP B&W and color laserjets, an HP
inkjet, a Brother inkjet and a Canon imageRunner
photocopier/printer/scanner (generic postscript driver for that,
Canon is bad about OS X drivers for their big machines).
All of the printers are of fairly recent vintage, and I've looked at
5 computers so far, with Leopard native on 4 of them and an
upgrade on one.

So, some possible explanations (from my perspective) are:
1) You checked for cupsd on a mac that hasn't had a printer set
up for it in System Preferences, so maybe CUPS would not have
been turned on,
2)  You weren't looking at "all processes" in Activity Monitor, but
were looking at "my processes" instead (something I've done
at times.)
3) We are living in parallel universes connected by the web, where
each of us is right.  (I don't give this one much credence.)
There are undoubtedly other possibilities I haven't thought of.

We can agree to disagree on this until more convincing evidence
comes to light, since it doesn't make much difference in practical
terms.  If printing is working quite well for everyone, there is less
need to be concerned with the guts of the OS.  But if you are
interested in pursuing this a little more, I'd like to know what you
see if you run Activity Monitor while printing, particularly if your
printers are connected by USB, because all of my examples were
of networked printers.

In any case, to return to the original question in this thread,
given what I've seen, if you have a network printer in your printer
list, then having CUPS showing up in your firewall log is probably
a fairly common experience.