Just for grins and googles, I did sample searches and found the following:

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,350 for "windows 7 faster"
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=%22windows+7+faster%22&a
q=f&oq=

Results 1 - 10 of about 98 for "windows 7 slower"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22windows+7+slower%22

A 44-1 ratio of the word "faster" over "slower."

And, oh look!, a review where Win7 is faster than both Vista and XP SP3:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3187

It all depends on what you measure and how you measure performance.