She wants a live backup, not monthly ones.  The drobo advantage is plug in
and forget, also AFAIK, you can stick any drives in that drobo, in a build
you own RAID scenario, you need matched drives for the best results.  I'd
not replace the lacie drive for the reason just mentioned.

Watch out for the new WD 'green' drives, not to be used for RAID.  I'm doing
the same thing you are talking about with a pair of 1 TB drives.  I have a
third drive for offline backup.