It's not redundant anymore?  It doesn't provide mirroring or parity?  It
doesn't reduce the MTBF?  All those assumptions are wrong?

You should get out more, even Apple uses RAID.

A primer to help you understand how RAID works and why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Once you understand it's usage, you may be able to offer alternatives or
you'll realize it's a solid way to go.  Like any tech, it's not correct in
every usage, but in certain areas it is the best.

Another short bit from the high father, oh holy Jobs.  I know you listen to
him.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1013.html