On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Chris Dunford <seed...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have run across a number of shareware apps over
>> time that are actually fully functional and completely
>> unrestricted in any way even if a fee is not paid.
>
> Right, but even if the software is fully functional, the user could still be
> in violation of the license agreement. My point is really that shareware
> users should be aware of what the license permits after the trial period is
> up. The fact that it keeps working doesn't mean that it's legal to use it.

  Possibly.  However, in the past, and even now to some extent, some
shareware packages have clearly indicated that it is okay to use the
application even of the fee has not been paid.  Most do ask that one
make a "donation" if they like the app and use it.

  I have an image processing app that was a trial demo, and when it
opens it tells me that images saved will be watermarked.  However, I
have discovered that only the JPG saves get watermarked, not the TIFF
saves.  I use TIFF anyway for all editing, so I am still happily using
this trial version.  Am I a criminal because the developers overlooked
something?

  Steve