Much of what Tom saw about IT in the publishing business, I have seen in my own work environment (a county government agency). One such example: The IT department is proud of the fact that they have convinced school age section of our agency to abandon it's Mac for Windows machines. They say it will be easier if they (the students) don't have to to learn a new OS when they come to the adult program. I work in the adult program and have never had a client who had that problem. (I've been working with Adults & computers for over 12 years - longer than anyone has been working in our IT dept.) I personally believe that person should know the basics of at least two OS. Much of it carries over from one to the other.

Steve