That seems to fit into the American culture of one size fits all.

My cousin graduated from what we would call a Vo-Tech high school in Germany (Hochshule) and she was required to learn two different foreign languages along with her German studies.

Here if they learn one foreign language you are lucky. (In Alabama to receive an Advanced Diploma you are required to have two years of a foreign language. It is not required for a regular HS diploma)

So it just makes sense for the students to learn both. My wife did when she went back and got her HS diploma as an adult. Used her training to work at a Newspaper that ran Mac's. (which were not problem free.)

Stewart