OmniGroup.com has an excellent collection of project tracking software,
but it's Mac-only. Have a look at it. Is this the kind of software you
need?

MS used to have MS Project, and it was very basic, but somewhat useful
[is it still around?]. I'm sure there are better and more useful Windows
programs if you search for "project tracking". There's no need to
develop it yourself since there are plenty of choices.

Having been on both the development side (creating databases) and the
client side, I've never been able to identify a reliable software/application development tracking tool. I've used an excel spreadsheet, and I tried developing a tool from scratch in MS Access.
 The latter works, ok, but it is still a bit unwieldy. ...Thanks, Arnold