I was able to tinker with it enough in Pages to make it usable.

Thanks

b_s-wilk wrote:
> I've been sent a .doc form by email that I am supposed to print out, fill out, and send back via USPS. I don't use anything MS. > NeoOffice shows the document best, but the spacing in the form does not come out just right, so that the paging, which is important on this form, does not come out right. > But Neo won't let me edit the document. When I try to add a space or any character it hops to one of the spaces in the form that needs to be filled out. I know little about word processors, but this strikes me as a behavior that I should be able to turn off. The document doesn't appear to be locked.

It sounds like someone on the other end set the document to read only.
Despite the inherent risk for malware included in PDFs, it is a better
method for sending out a document to print out and also be sure of the
format of the document.

There are methods of defeating read-only doc files in your situation,
but there may be troubling legal ramifications even if for example cut
'n' paste defeats the read-only setting in NeoOffice.  Ask for a PDF if
you have to print out their exact document.

What they've sent you is a locked MS Word form document. The only place you can write is in the form fields. Fill out the fields and send it back. Tell them that it doesn't have good spacing but all the form text is there. Sometimes it's set to save the data in the form, otherwise you'll have to print it and mail it back, or take screen shots and send it via email.

If they'll send you a PDF, you can fill it out with an app called PDFPen. Otherwise, still ask for a PDF to print it out and fill in by hand.

The problem with sending .docs to someone who isn't using the same Normal template causes spacing problems and more. Their Normal isn't the same as your Normal if theirs uses Ariel and yours has Times.